Mr Hong Kong 2011 Preview

I do love a good pageant because it just gives me the time to ogle at beautiful people (male or female)! I am so vain. So why do I bother following Mr Hong Kong, a third rate pageant? Well basically because it's available to me and deep down I actually enjoy watching those skinny Asians parading around in tight speedos! And in actual fact most of the winners have been decent. In 2005 we had the tall and handsome Matthew Ko, 2006 we had the playboy Francois Wong, 2007 gave us Benjamin Yuen (who looked better in 2007 imo), 2008 gave us the cute Mickey Chu, 2009 was a slight fluke but then 2010 we had William Chak the womaniser. Overall a good batch and then some.

This year is different, 2010 was a huge year for MrHK so much so that 2011 looks a pale shade in comparison. I don't know what has happened but maybe it's because we are lacking an all-round guy like William Chak. There are however a few strong candidates this year who can easily fit into TVB. Here's a brief overview of the 11 guys competing tomorrow night.

No.1
Edmond Siu
25
6'
145lbs




Edmond is the favourite to win and rightly so. He's one of the best looking candidates this year, has a decent physique and seems to be very charming and eloquent. Out of all the guys he seems to have the all round package, I think his odds to win should be around 80% at the moment. He's currently working as a model, I actually walked past an advert of his for a bank today. I haven't really followed all the gossip but he is compared with HK actor/singer Edwin Siu, similar names as well and had a small role in 3D Sex and Zen!

He's currently my No.1 favourite.


No.2
Honda Hui
24
5'10.5"
187lbs





I remember hearing him say that he's slimmed down 20 pounds since joining MrHK, he does look more defined now than when he auditioned. He's not getting much attention but I actually think he's ok though he has a strong Mainland China accent and looks very mainland too, foreigners will not understand what I'm going on about. His very prominent jaw is both an asset and a hindrance, he needs to learn how to perfect his angles, preferably side shots.

He'll unlikely make it far.


No.3
Derek Wong
29
5'11.5"
163lbs




I do not believe Derek is 163lbs, it has to be either a typo or that he has lost some drastic amount of weight. I remember he said he used to be a lot bigger but now I think he needs to eat a bit more! I do like Derek, mainly for his charisma but he's not too bad looking. Of main concern is his disproportionate physique most evidently his wide hips and thin arms.

I don't see him making it far, he reminds me of a past contestant.


No.4
Paul Yu
27
5'8.5"
141lbs




I like Paul's slightly cool demeanour but he often looks a bit thin and short compared to his compatriots, standing next to 5'11"s and 6 footers. His USP is that he's a dance instructor so he has every chance of wowing the ladies with his dancing but besides that I'm not sure where else he might excel.

Paul has a slight chance of making it to the next stage because of his talent.


No.5
Kelvin Kong
28
5'11"
141lbs




I didn't expect Kelvin to be this slim but stats wise he must have the lowest BMI. I was a little shocked when I saw him in his speedos because he looked slimmer than Derek! So now poor Kelvin has two ailing flaws, his weight and his lack of a decent smile. However there is a slight chance he could make the cut if he can somehow charm the audience.


No.6
Kit Fong
20
6
171lbs




Kit could have it all, at one point he was even my favourite but I quickly switched boats because he is rather inconsistent and the most problematic is his lack of eloquence. He's one of the better looking guys this year but he needs to practice in the mirror a bit more because he can either come off as young and hip or cross eyed, squinty and just damn lost. There's also an attitude coming across. And also please have a better walk.

I like Kit. I think he'll go through because he has the best body of the bunch.


No.8
Simon Tang
18
5'10"
133lbs




I hear you asking "Where's No.7?" Well he withdrew due to family problems I think. Anyway back onto Simon, our resident teen. Don't disregard him because he's 18 as he's a strong contender. I'd probably give him Mr Photogenic, with No.1 also in hot contention for that award. He undeniably gives off a different air compared to the other 10 and that's what makes him stand out. And the fact that he has a toned body means it's virtually impossible for him to be left out of a Top 4 spot.

I like him and due to be a strong contender despite his age he'll do well though he won't win.


No.9
Aleyson Shu
27
5'8.5"
147lbs




Sadly Aleyson just doesn't stand out to me, there's nothing that really grabs my attention and that's why Aleyson is doomed to fail - even the paps have little to say about him. Furthermore he has a mainland Chinese accent further alienating viewers.


No.10
Clayton Li
24
5'10"
148lbs





An early favourite, of mine and the media, Clayton should do well. He has the best smile of the bunch and has an equally strong physique (he also imo has the best frame out of the 11 guys) but there's a huge problem with his looks which he needs to tackle in that his nose and lips occasionally look bloated - I don't know if that's more to do with his cut lip. If he can converse eloquently and with charm he'll be a huge hit with the girls or if not he can always fall down upon being from Canada.

If there's any alternative to No.1 it's Clayton, the only reason he's not in higher contention is because he doesn't give off a TVB vibe to me. My second favourite.


No.11
Douglas Au Yeung
25
5'8.5"
136lbs




Douglas isn't bad looking it's just that he's a bit too plain. His features are so common in Hong Kong that he looks like anybody else and he frequently looks like he smells something funky. There is a possibility for him to make a shock, if there was one, but as that is rather unpredictable for now I can only say he doesn't stand a strong chance. Does anyone else find it funny that he has a hairy midriff but a virtually hairless chest.


No.12
Hugo Lam
31
5'8"
145lbs





Intriguingly the shortest and oldest in the bunch but with a decent physique and a marketable look he can become the dark horse of the pageant. I'll be intrigued as to how he converses with the ladies if he does get that far.

A dark horse.


So to recap, my favourites are

No.1 Edmond Siu and No.10 Clayton Li

followed closely by

No.8 Simon Tang

and then

No.6 Kit Fong

Then it's tough to separate the rest besides the bottom which unfortunately goes to

No.9 Aleyson Shu


And my predictions:
If it is like last year with a Top 4 then...
chances of making the Top 4...

No.1 Edmond - 100%
No.2 Honda - 10%
No.3 Derek - 45%
No.4 Paul - 60%
No.5 Kelvin - 60%
No.6 Kit - 70%
No.8 Simon - 80%
No.9 Aleyson - 5%
No.10 Clayton - 85%
No.11 Douglas - 40%
No.12 Hugo - 50%

Chances of winning
No.1 Edmond - 80%
No.2 Honda - 0%
No.3 Derek - 1%
No.4 Paul - 1%
No.5 Kelvin - 1%
No.6 Kit - 0%
No.8 Simon - 5%8
No.9 Aleyson - 0%
No.10 Clayton - 10%
No.11 Douglas - 1%
No.12 Hugo - 1%

Guys you'll likely see in TVB shows soon
1. Edmond, 3. Derek, 4. Paul, 11. Douglas, 12. Hugo

6. Kit and 10. Clayton might also feature sometime or later

I don't see the mainland accenters making it into TVB and something tells me 8. Simon won't be joining TVB either. As for 5. Kelvin I don't think he looks like a TVBer.

It's really Edmond's to lose. See you tomorrow!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Do You Like My Background? If so thanks to GosuBlogger @ btemplates :)